Some time ago I began looking for an algorithm that could perform bin-packing in a 3D space. This search came up pretty nil. There was some dude in the UK doing a private beta of a service, but that was it as far a current implementations were concerned. Though I did come across a single other solution with supposedly working code, it was all wrapped up in a PDF document that was the master’s thesis document for a gentleman in the Air Force. Not really wanting to delve into something that would require transcription just to see if it was feasible, I put that project aside for the time being and moved on.
Recently, the problem came up again. Again I looked to see if anyone had published working code. Again, I found nothing really except this PDF that was a scan of the original document. This time I decided that the world needed a good 3D bin packing solution, and decided to begin the transcription project. In the interest of posterity, I released the original code – though cleaned up a bit – along with working binaries to Github. In the ‘readme’ for that project, I documented the history and intended future of that code base, and now I think I intend to make good on my threat and begin work towards a more cross-platform and feature rich version of that original code, and christening it Boxologic.
This is gonna be fun!